Contributed by Hudson Museum, Univ. of Maine
Band baskets were destined for home use to store hats, clothes or linen, or for use in travel as "suitcases."
This basket features decorative curls and is missing its cover.
About This Item
- Title: Penobscot band basket, Indian Island, ca. 1880
- Creation Date: circa 1880
- Subject Date: circa 1880
- Location: Old Town, Penobscot County, ME
- Media: Ash, dyes
- Dimensions: 14.5 cm x 22.6 cm
- Local Code: HM6567
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Basket making
- Indian art--North America
- Indian baskets
- Indians of North America--Antiquities
- Indians of North America--Maine
- Native Americans
- Penobscot baskets
- Penobscot Indians
- Wabanaki Indians
For more information about this item, contact:Hudson Museum, Univ. of Maine
5746 Maine Center for the Arts, Orono, ME 04469
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.