Visitors to the Maine woods at their campsite near Millinocket in about 1900.
Charles Hathaway (left, born 1874) and Charles Powers (far right) were hunting guides in the Millinocket area. They pose with their sportsman client (center), and the result of their hunting trip: two caribou.
The scene is probably at Power's hunting camp near Millinocket Lake, an area where caribou still lived at that time.
This photograph is of the 193rd Company of the Civilian Conservation Corps' (CCC) Cook Tent on the Appalachian Trail in Millinocket Maine.
The back of the photograph reads, " Not he Waldorf but the food was good & plentiful."
William Wolff, Jr. sent this photograph in response to a CCC Reunion invitation from Norman Wetherington in 1985.
Eugenia Powers, at far right, and an unidentified companion, stand next to eight deer hanging at Schoodic, a 200 acre farm located on the south side of the confluence of Schoodic Stream and the West Branch of the Penobscot River.
The Fowler family owned Schoodic farm, which was later purchased by Charles & Eugenia Powers. The construction of Dolby Dam in conjunction with the paper mill at East Millinocket in 1906 flooded the farm, which is now submerged under the water of Dolby Pond.
Cornelia "Fly Rod" Crosby in the canoe, in the shadow of Mt. Kineo, Moosehead Lake, ca. 1895.
Crosby, of Phillips, worked for a number of years for the Maine Central Railroad where she promoted tourism in the Maine woods. She was a noted fly fisher and hunter.
A studio portrait of Cornelia Thurza "Fly Rod" Crosby from a photograph album entitled "Maine Views." Most of the photographs in the album were taken by Edwin R. Starbird, a commercial photographer specializing in Maine woods views.
Born and raised in Philips in 1854, Cornelia "Fly Rod" Crosby was a writer, fly fisher, hunter, and outdoor enthusiast who worked for the Maine Central Railroad promoting the sporting life in Maine at the turn of the century.
She held the first Maine Guide license issued and allegedly was the the first woman to legally shoot a caribou in Maine and rumored to have shot against Annie Oakley in a sharpshooting competition. Her column "Fly Rod's Note Book" was syndicated throughout the Eastern United States. She died in 1946.
Aroostook Woods Cottage, Houlton, ca. 1900
Item 22678 info
Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
Pictured from left to right:
Mae Powers, Paul H. Powers, James Kidd Plummer, John Madigan (standing), Lucia Madigan, Frederick Powers.
Note the white tail deer hanging from the tree, left; the rifle on the wall of the cottage; and the bird house.
John B. Madigan was a lawyer in Houlton and served as an Associate Justice of the Maine Supreme Court from January 1916 until his death on January 19, 1918.
Frederick Alton Powers was a lawyer in Houlton, a Representative in te Maine Legislature, a State Senator. From 1893 - 1896 he was Attorney-General of Maine. Frederick Powes was a Justice of the Maine Supreme Court from 1900 to 1907.
James Kidd Plummer was an organizer and later president of the Houlton Trust Company.
Ragged Lake, located northeast of Moosehead Lake, was a favorite hunting and fishing area of John Dunn. This photo taken November 3, 1893 shows the Tremblay and Kennedy sporting camps, located on Deep Cove at Ragged Lake. A guide would select an area in the woods for a camp, then fell trees and use the trees to erect a camp.
Two guides carry a canoe with Ragged Lake in the background. They are heading for Blackberry Pond with "sport" Charles B. Dunn of St. Paul, Minnesota, who was on a hunting and fishing trip.
In addition to hunting and fishing in the remote Moosehead Lake region of northern Maine, John Dunn enjoyed exploring and photographing in the remote, pristine scenery.
In this August 8, 1887 photo, Henry Tremblay guides Charles Bullen Dunn and his wife, Margaret, in a birch bark canoe along Williams Brook, a northern tributary to Moosehead Lake. The Dunns enjoyed traveling to the region enough that they eventually built a summer camp on Mooseheads shores.
Dan Decker worked as a guide in Norcross. Here, Decker canoed with Thomas Gregory and Miss Sherwood, somewhere on the waters of the West Branch of the Penobscot River.
Thomas Watt Gregory was the Attorney General of the United States from 1914 to 1919, serving under Woodrow Wilson.
In this August 1, 1888 John Dunn photo, three fisherman use Table Rock as a casting platform to tempt some of Moosehead Lake’s brook trout.
In the late 19th century, a canoe, bamboo fly-fishing pole loaded with silk fly line and a hand-tied fly were considered state-of-the-art equipment. The three fisherman are dwarfed by the dramatic backdrop of Mount Kineo, a hallmark of Moosehead Lake that can be seen from miles around.
In a canoe on Daicy Pond, near Katahdin, in 1931 are Electa McLain (right) and Charlotte Millett.
Henry Withee wrote an account of a canoe trip from Greenville to Fort Kent that he and his friend, Horace Bailey, took in July 1911.
Withee, a native of Blanchard, was a lawyer in Rockport at the time of the trip. Bailey, also a Maine native, lived near Boston in 1911.
The diary is a typewritten account, complete with photographs.
Canoes on the lake shore near fishing and hunting camps in Aroostook County.
Allagash travelers Henry Withee and Horace Bailey stop at "Camp Mosquito" on their Allagash canoe journey.
Withee wrote in a journal, "Until that night, I never fully realized the power of the mosquito. They came in swarms and, in spite of netting and dope, sunk their artesian wells through the blanket, a flannel shirt and a woolen undershirt and took their bloody fill."
Camp Slapjack was a remote outpost located on Roach Pond, about seven miles east of Lily Bay on Moosehead Lake.
Shown here on August 22, 1887, is the Dunn party, guided by Henry Tremblay, seated holding a brook trout ready for the frying pan.
Two Norcross area guides, Almon Reed (left) and Dud Hale (right) shared a convivial moment. Close examination of the bottle reveals it was Clover Club Whiskey.
B. Proctor, Grace Grant Austin and Helen Page White are pictured picking lily pads at Alamoosook Lake.
Bateau crew working pulp down the West Branch of the Machias River. With their shallow draft and stability, bateaux were good for working a log drive.
Horace Bailey in the campsite he and Henry Withee set up at Allagash Falls in 1911. The pair canoed the Allagash from Northeast Carry on the West Branch of the Penobscot River to Fort Kent.
This slideshow contains 21 items