Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Captain John D. Conley of Bangor (1829- ) served in Company H of the 16th Maine from August 1862 until June 1865.
He was a prisoner of war from August 8, 1864 until February 22, 1865, having been captured at the Welden Railroad, Virginia.
Conley, a music teacher, was 33 when he enlisted on August 14, 1862 as a 1st sergeant. He was promoted to full 2nd lieutenant on December 13, 1862 and to full captain on May 22, 1863.
About This Item
- Title: Capt. John D. Conley, 16th Maine, ca. 1863
- Creator: M. G. Trask, Bangor
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Location: Bangor, Penobscot County, ME
- Media: Carte de visite
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 6 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 135, Box 1/20
- Collection: Abner Ralph Small papers
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Regimental histories--16th Me. (1861-1865)--Cartes de visite
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.