Contributed by Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
Noah Pillsbury married Harriet Hannaford on December 8, 1864 in Portland. They are shown here about 1910.
Noah was born on January 11, 1838 in Scarborough. A veteran of the Civil War, Noah served in Company E of the 25th Maine Infantry for nine months. When he enlisted on September 29, 1862, Noah was described as being five-feet-five-inches tall with a light complexion, hazel eyes, and brown hair. Noah mustered out of the service on July 10, 1863 with a medical disability.
Noah held a couple of very interesting jobs later in his life. Around 1900, he was the last toll collector on the Cumberland Turnpike, which crossed the Scarborough marsh from Oak Hill to Dunstan. In 1903 Noah was appointed the first Rural Free Delivery (RFD) carrier in Scarborough, and he delivered mail by horse and buggy in West Scarborough until his death.
Noah Pillsbury died on February 1, 1919 and is buried in the Dunstan Cemetery in Scarborough.
About This Item
- Title: Noah and Harriet Pillsbury, Scarborough, ca. 1910
- Creation Date: circa 1910
- Subject Date: circa 1910
- Location: Scarborough, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 13.41 cm x 9.65 cm
- Local Code: 02.68.1a
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 25th (1862-1863). Company E
- Military service, Voluntary
- Older veterans--United States
- Veterans--Civil War
- Scarborough (Me.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military service--1860-1870
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- 25th Maine Infantry
- Civil War
- Harriett Pillsbury
- Married couples
- Noah Pillsbury
- RFD Carrier
- Toll Collector
For more information about this item, contact:Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
PO Box 156, Scarborough, ME 04070-0156
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.