Contributed by Mount Desert Island Historical Society
The dining room of the Asticou Inn was a gathering place for guests of the Inn and other nearby lodgings owned by the Savage family of Northeast Harbor from 1883 until 1964, when ownership of the Inn passed out of the family.
The Inn was first built in 1883 but the original hotel burned to the ground in 1900 and was replaced in a similar exterior layout with an additional wing during the year after the fire. Almost on schedule, the inn re-opened in 1901. The dining room was replicated almost precisely as it had been in the earlier hotel although the windows were larger and the square footage had been increased to include at least four more tables.
About This Item
- Title: Asticou Inn dining room, Northeast Harbor, ca. 1905
- Creation Date: circa 1905
- Subject Date: circa 1905
- Location: Mount Desert, Hancock County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12 cm x 17 cm
- Collection: Private collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Dining rooms--Maine--Northeast Harbor
- Hotels--Maine--Northeast Harbor
- Tourism--Maine--Northeast Harbor
For more information about this item, contact:Mount Desert Island Historical Society
PO Box 653, 353 Sound Drive, Mount Desert, ME 04660
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.