Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Col. George F. Shepley, a Portland lawyer, wrote to Maine Gov. Israel Washburn to report that he expected the new 12th Maine Regiment to be filled soon "with the very best men in the State."
Shepley also reported, "I have abandoned every other thought and pursuit, and have embarked in this movement all my hopes energies and efforts and, if need be my fortune and my life."
Shepley received a commission and permission to form the regiment in conjunction with Massachusetts resident Gen. Benjamin F. Butler's desire to have Democrats named as commanders of regiments. Shepley told Washburn he hoped the federal mandate for the regiment did not diminish the pride Maine would feel in it.
Shepley, a Democrat, became military governor of Louisiana in 1862, shortly after Union forces captured New Orleans, where the 12th and other Maine regiments were serving.
The letter is a copy Shepley kept of the one he sent to Washburn.
About This Item
- Title: George F. Shepley on plans for 12th Maine, 1861
- Creator: Shepley, George F.
- Creation Date: 1861-10-01
- Subject Date: 1861
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 24.4 cm x 20 cm
- Local Code: Coll. S-942, Misc. Box 36/12
- Collection: George Foster Shepley correspondence
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractual obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military service, Voluntary
- Military service--1860-1870
- Recruiting & enlistment--1860-1870
- Shepley, George F. (George Foster), 1860-1903--Correspondence
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.