Contributed by Mount Desert Island Historical Society
This postcard depicts the village of Somesville at the turn of the twentieth century. A horse-drawn wagon is also shown crossing the bridge over Somes Brook, on the left, as it approaches the intersection of Main Street and Oak Hill Road.
The Abraham Somes III house is on the left. The Somes family was the first non-native family to settle on Mount Desert Island. Upon his death Abraham Somes III left that home to his son, Thaddeus Shepley Somes. The foreground shows the mill pond and the AC Fernald general store, on the opposite shore of the pond.
About This Item
- Title: Mount Desert House, Somesville, ca 1900
- Creation Date: circa 1900
- Subject Date: circa 1900
- Location: Mount Desert, Hancock County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 25 cm
- Local Code: MDIHSjpg997335500
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Main Street (Somesville, Me.)
- Dirt Roads--Maine--Somesville
- Carriages & coaches--Maine--Somesville
- Cities & towns--Maine--Somesville
- Business enterprises--Maine--Somesville
For more information about this item, contact:Mount Desert Island Historical Society
PO Box 653, 353 Sound Drive, Mount Desert, ME 04660
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.