Contributed by David Heath through Sebago Historical Society
Not available for reproduction or licensing. More info.
Horace Kollack of Sacarappa wrote to his cousin John Bickford in Sebago that he planned to join the 30th Maine Regiment Co. B as soon as he finished his school examinations. He expected to be the captain’s clerk and wrote that his father would send for him in two weeks.
He planned to enlist for a year and thought he would make about $800 dollars. ($600 for enlisting and pay of $16/month.)
He asks for and shares news about their relatives and describes his rude schoolmaster: "If we look over to the Girls He will Pound us most to Death.”"He mentions that his father has been home on a 20 day furlough and just gone back.
About This Item
- Title: Horace Kollack to his cousin John Bickford, Sacarappa, 1865
- Creator: Kollock, Horace T.
- Creation Date: 1865-02-15
- Subject Date: 1865-02-15
- Local Name: Mud City, Saccarappa
- Town: Lynn, Sebago, Westbrook
- County: Cumberland, Essex
- State: MA, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: W4.Kollock
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Recruiting and enlistment
- Bounties, Military
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 30th (1863-1865)
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army--Recruiting, enlistment, etc.
- Kollock, Horace T.
- Bickford, John
- Davis, Mary Cook
- Bickford, Sarah Davis
- Kollock, Royal Thomas
- Strout, Brazill
- Haley, Pheba
For more information about this item, contact:Sebago Historical Society
PO Box 59, Sebago, ME 04029
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.