Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Samuel Whiting of Bangor wrote to William King of Bath recommending militia action to oust the British from Castine.
The British occupied the coastal community during the War of 1812 and Whiting noted that sentiment of residents, who had hoped for financial advantage from the occupation, had shifted.
About This Item
- Title: Samuel Whiting letter on occupation of Castine, 1814
- Creator: Samuel K. Whiting
- Creation Date: 1814-12-21
- Subject Date: 1814
- Location: Castine, Hancock County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 165, Box 12/17
- Collection: William King papers
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Maine--Politics and government--1775-1865
- United States--History--War of 1812
- Whiting, Samuel--Correspondence
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.