In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Memory Network

Luxurious Leisure

This Exhibit Contains 19 Items
1
Fiske House, Old Orchard Beach, 1907

Fiske House, Old Orchard Beach, 1907

Item 12151 info
Maine Historical Society

Crowds of vacationers are shown on the beach in front of the Fiske House resort in Old Orchard Beach. R. Cutler Libby took the photo July 21, 1907.


2
Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport, ca. 1870

Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport, ca. 1870

Item 13652 info
Kennebunk Free Library

Ocean Avenue in Kennebunkport, looking east.

In the center of this image is the Ocean Bluff Hotel, a large white building with two cupolas. It burned at the turn of the last century.

Now on the site is the Colony Hotel. The boathouse in the foreground on the right is still standing. Note the early dirt roads and wooden fences.


3
Dirigo Hotel, Southwest Harbor, 1893

Dirigo Hotel, Southwest Harbor, 1893

Item 16450 info
Southwest Harbor Public Library

The Dirigo Hotel located in Southwest Harbor was photographed in 1893. It burned on September 3, 1960.


4
The Kingfield House, ca. 1895

The Kingfield House, ca. 1895

Item 9467 info
Stanley Museum

The Kingfield House, also known as the Hotel Winter, was built by John Winter II in 1886 on the site of the Franklin House, which had burned in 1880.

The Kingfield House was an imposing structure on Main Street, here viewed from the south. Guest rooms occupied the upper part of the hotel. The lower concourse housed small shops . A sign for the "W.B. Small Meat Market" is visible on the street side.

The lower level housed the stables for travelers staying at the hotel. When the Stanley Brothers of Kingfield brought their first steam motor carriages to town in 1899/1900, the vehicles were kept in the hotel's stable.

The Herbert replaced the Kingfield House in 1918.


5
Hotel Alberta, Old Orchard Beach, 1903

Hotel Alberta, Old Orchard Beach, 1903

Item 12152 info
Maine Historical Society

The resort Hotel Alberta at Old Orchard Beach was built in 1898 on the lower portion of Old Orchard Street.

Selden W. Holt owned it until it burned on August 15, 1907.

A young woman in one of the hotels who knocked over an oil lamp while she was curling her hair started the fire. The fire quickly spread and destroyed 17 hotels, 20 stores and 60 cottages.

The Hotel Alberta was never rebuilt.


6
Shore Acres Hotel, Lamoine, 1927

Shore Acres Hotel, Lamoine, 1927

Item 17197 info
Lamoine Historical Society

The Shore Acres Hotel was located near Lamoine Beach. It was built as a farm house in 1795 by Louis Deslsle and became the Deslsle Hotel in the late 19th century.

The name was changed to the Shore Acres Hotel in 1892 at the request of James Hearne, who wrote the play Shore Acres in Lamoine.

It was one of at least three large resort hotels in the area. The others were the Gault Hotel, located where the Lamoine State Park is now, and the LeMoyne Inn, which was west of where Shore Acres now stands.

In the 1880s, developers and others attempted to promote Lamoine as a summer resort, hoping to raise property values and provide seasonal employment to the residents, but they were unsuccessful, as were efforts to bring the railroad to Lamoine.


7
Samoset Hotel, Rockland, ca. 1930

Samoset Hotel, Rockland, ca. 1930

Item 6565 info
Maine Historical Society

The Bay Point Hotel, owned by Francis Cobb II, opened on July 4th, 1889.

In 1902, the Ricker family, owners and operators of the Poland Spring Hotel, bought the property and embellished the L-shaped building with turrets, porches, and gingerbread decoration.

Hiram Ricker renamed the hotel "The Samoset," after the Pemaquid chief who was among the first people to greet Europeans.

In 1911 the Maine Central Railroad acquired the hotel. The hotel closed in 1969 and burned completely on October 13, 1972.

A new Samoset was built in 1978.


8
The Mt. Kineo, Kineo, ca. 1915

The Mt. Kineo, Kineo, ca. 1915

Item 17483 info
Maine Historical Society

The Mt. Kineo hotel on Kineo, Moosehead Lake.

Maine Central Railroad purchased the resort hotel in 1912. The Hiram Ricker Hotel Company, which owned the Poland Spring resort, operated the hotel.


9
Bay of Naples Inn with steamboat in background

Bay of Naples Inn with steamboat in background

Item 7787 info
Naples Historical Society

Steamboat heading for the swing bridge at Chutes River with the Inn in the background.

The Bay of Naples Inn opened in 1899. It was a prosperous hotel during the early years of the 20th century. The Inn was torn down in 1967.


10
Oxford House, Fryeburg, ca. 1900

Oxford House, Fryeburg, ca. 1900

Item 6055 info
Fryeburg Historical Society

The 100-room turn of the twentieth century inn, located on Main Street in Fryeburg, was a popular summer tourist accommodation for visitors to the Mount Washington Valley.

It was destroyed by fire in 1906.


11
Hotel Sorrento

Hotel Sorrento

Item 16112 info
Sullivan and Sorrento Historical Society

The Hotel Sorrento was built by the Frenchman's Bay and the Mt. Desert Land and Water Company as part of their plan to develop the Town of Sorrento as a summer colony. It was built in 1889 and burned on June 27, 1906.


12
Summit Springs Hotel, Poland

Summit Springs Hotel, Poland

Item 138 info
Maine Historical Society

The Summit Springs Hotel in Poland was built in 1904. It was torn down in 1959.


13
Rockledge Hotel at Popham Beach, ca. 1890

Rockledge Hotel at Popham Beach, ca. 1890

Item 14556 info
Maine Historical Society

A photograph of Rockledge Hotel at Popham Beach with Silver Lake in the foreground, shows Bates Cottage, A.H. Shaw Cottage and Fernald Cottage, ca. 1890. A windmill is in the foreground.


14
Great Northern Hotel, Millinocket, ca. 1930

Great Northern Hotel, Millinocket, ca. 1930

Item 11307 info
Baxter State Park

Postcard shows the Great Northern Hotel in Millinocket.

Great Northern Paper Company built the Great Northern Hotel for use by upper management, their families and other important guests and business contacts of the company.


15
Bicyclists at the Checkley Hotel, Scarborough, ca. 1895

Bicyclists at the Checkley Hotel, Scarborough, ca. 1895

Item 10796 info
Maine Historical Society

Cyclists relax in front of the Checkley Hotel, Prout's Neck Road, Scarborough.


16
Vaughan House, Caribou, 1890

Vaughan House, Caribou, 1890

Item 12261 info
Caribou Public Library

The Vaughan House was a well-regarded hotel in Caribou. It burned and was rebuilt multiple times. This picture was taken about 1890.


17
Peaks Island House, ca. 1905

Peaks Island House, ca. 1905

Item 17394 info
Maine Historical Society

Peaks Island House on Peaks Island, ca. 1905.

The first Peaks Island House, a relatively small hotel, was replaced in 1904 by this four-story building. It burned in 1934.

With the annex, seen to the left, the hotel could accommodate 600.

The hotel to the left is the Union House, which burned in 1936.


18
Kimball House, Northeast Harbor, ca. 1890

Kimball House, Northeast Harbor, ca. 1890

Item 17393 info
Maine Historical Society

The Kimball House, main hotel at Northeast Harbor, was built in the 1830s by Daniel Kimball.

The four-story hotel with the octagonal tower was built in 1886-1887. It had 70 chambers, several large parlors and a music room.


19
Mooselookmeguntic Lake House, ca. 1930

Mooselookmeguntic Lake House, ca. 1930

Item 6611 info
Maine Historical Society

Mooselookmeguntic Lake House at Mooselookmeguntic Lake. The lake was a popular destination, with trains delivering summer visitors to the vicinity. Several resort hotels were located in the area.


This Exhibit Contains 19 Items