Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The resort Hotel Alberta at Old Orchard Beach was built in 1898 on the lower portion of Old Orchard Street.
Selden W. Holt owned it until it burned on August 15, 1907.
A young woman in one of the hotels who knocked over an oil lamp while she was curling her hair started the fire. The fire quickly spread and destroyed 17 hotels, 20 stores and 60 cottages.
The Hotel Alberta was never rebuilt.
About This Item
- Title: Hotel Alberta, Old Orchard Beach, 1903
- Creator: Libby, R. Cutler
- Creation Date: 1903
- Subject Date: 1903
- Town: Old Orchard Beach
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 13 cm x 18 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 423, Box 3/7
- Collection: R. Cutler Libby glass plate negatives
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Resorts--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Hotel Alberta (Old Orchard Beach, Me.)--Photographs
- Hotels--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.