Maine's Statewide Digital Museum, Archive, and Educational Resource
A Maine Historical Society Website
Please support our efforts to collect, preserve, and educate by becoming a member of the Maine Historical Society today.
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Developed and managed by the Maine Historical Society (MHS), the Maine Memory Network (MMN) enables historical societies, libraries, and other cultural institutions across the state to upload, catalog, and manage digital copies of historical items from their collections into one centralized, web-accessible database.
Through online exhibits, outreach, interactive tools, lesson plans, in-school demonstrations, and other resources, the Maine Memory Network strives to help communities and schools learn about, celebrate, and share their local history.
- Use of the site is free, as is support for collecting organizations and schools.
- Content may not be reproduced without consent, except for classroom educational use.
- Reproductions of many of the historical items are available on our accompanying eCommerce website www.VintageMaineImages.com or by calling (207) 774-1822 x217.
- You do not need to register to search or view historical items, exhibits, lesson plans and other content, but registering for a free account does allow you to create your own albums and use personal features of the site.
- We make every effort to protect your personal information. Learn more about security, privacy, acceptable use, and image licensing in our website policies page.
- We welcome feedback and comments. Please contact us through our online form
A Growing Collection of Historical Items
- Letters, journals, notes, manuscripts, and other hand-written materials
- Photographs, albumen prints, glass plate negatives, paintings, and other images
- Sketches, woodcuts, broadsides, business cards, and other graphic items
- Architectural and mechanical drawings, maps, and other oversized documents
- Clothing, tools, household goods, archaeological artifacts, and other museum objects
- Audio and video files
Interact with Maine's Past
Visitors to the website can search, browse, sort, and easily access these historical items. With a free account, you can create your own collections of albums, add your own text, collaborate with friends and colleagues, and even create online exhibits. Learn more in the help section.
Interactive features include:
- View and enlarge historical images
- Send e-mail postcards of historical documents
- View online documentaries and exhibits
- Contribute your knowledge of Maine history and historical items
- Save items in a personal album
- Collect, arrange, and annotate items to create slideshows and exhibits
- E-mail albums of images to friends, students, and colleagues for online collaboration
- Listen to audio readings and read full transcriptions of letters and journals