Contributed by National Archives at Boston
The first aid team from Greene treats mock casualties during Operation Mayflower at the Lewiston-Auburn Airport on May 26, 1957.
The Androscoggin County Civil Defense and Public Safety organization conducted the exercise during which teams responded to a mock attack on the city of Auburn by enemy bombers. More than 1,000 volunteers participated.
At the time, Civil Defense Director Normand J. Vermette noted that the idea was not to see how fast teams could reach Auburn, but to practice "Safety First."
Police and fire departments, along with Civil Defense and medical personnel participated.
About This Item
- Title: Greene Civil Defense first aid team, Auburn, 1957
- Creator: Office of Civil and Defense Mobilization.
- Creation Date: 1957-05-26
- Subject Date: 1957-05-26
- Auburn, Androscoggin County, ME
- Greene, Androscoggin County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: ARC 824935, 07/06/12
- Collection: Record Group 304: Records of the Office of Civil and Defense Mobilization; Civil Defense Photographs
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Maine. Civil Defense and Public Safety Agency
- Civil defense--United States--Maine
- First aid
For more information about this item, contact:National Archives at Boston
380 Trapelo Road, Waltham, MA 02452
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.