Contributed by Maine Historical Society
John W. Channing, a captain in Co. K of the 7th Regiment Maine Infantry, enlisted on August 21, 1861, agreeing to serve three years.
He was discharged on September 5, 1864.
Channing was a native of Fairfield. According to the certificate, was 5 feet, 11 inches tall, with a dark complexion, black eyes and black hair.
He worked as a painter when he went into the service.
About This Item
- Title: John Channing discharge certificate, Augusta, 1864
- Creation Date: 1864-09-05
- Subject Date: 1864-09-05
- Location: Fairfield, Somerset County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 2354
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Military discharges--1860-1870
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Channing, John William, b. ca. 1830
- United States. Army. Maine Sharpshooters Battalion, 1st (1864-1865)
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 7th (1861-1864). Company K
- Military commissions
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.