Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Alexander Wadsworth Longfellow (1814-1901) of Portland was commissioned to produce this map for a court case involving a textile mill on the Presumpscot River.
The map's title is, "Plan and profile of the Presumpscot River from Gambo Falls to Little Falls taken by order of the court in the case of O.M. Whipple versus the Cumberland Cotton Manufacturing Company."
Longfellow was a surveyor and the brother of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882).
About This Item
- Title: A.W. Longfellow map of Presumpscot River, Windham, 1840
- Creator: Alexander Wadsworth Longfellow
- Creation Date: 1840
- Subject Date: 1840
- Location: Westbrook, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 81 cm x 192 cm
- Local Code: Map RR 20
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Batchelder, John Montgomer, 1811-1892
- Canals--Maine--Maps, Manuscript
- Cotton manufacture--Maine
- Cumberland and Oxford Canal (Me.)--Maps, Manuscript
- Gristmills--Maine--South Windham--Maps, Manuscript
- Longfellow, A.W. (Alexander Wadsworth), 1814-1901
- Presumpscot River (Me.)--Maps, Manuscript
- Rivers--Maine--Maps, Manuscript
- Textile factories--Maine--South Windham
- Textile industry--Maine--Westbrook
- Textile manufacturers--Maine
- Whipple, Oliver Mayhew, 1794-1872
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.