Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
A native of Hartford, Maine, George D. Bisbee (1841-1918) enlisted at Peru, Maine, on July 17, 1862 with the 16th Maine Infantry. He became first sergeant in August 1862.
He fought at the Battle of Fredericksburg and was wounded on Dec. 13, 1862. He was discharged because of his wounds.
Bisbee rejoined the company on its march to Chancellorsville as a 2nd lieutenant in May.
He was taken prisoner at Gettysburg and held at Libby Prison for 10 months, then, along with other officers, at various camps. He was exchanged on April 1, 1865, and rejoined his regiment in time for Appomattox.
Like other officers, he lost his promotion because he was held prisoner and could not be mustered as a 1st lieutenant.
He returned to Maine, working as a lawyer in Oxford County.
About This Item
- Title: George D. Bisbee, 16th Maine volunteers, ca. 1863
- Creator: S. W. Sawyer
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Location: Peru, Oxford County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 6 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 135, Box 1/20
- Collection: Abner Ralph Small papers
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Maine--Infantry regiment, 16th (1861-1865)--Portraits.
- Card photographs.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maine--Infantry Regiment, 16th (1861-1865)--Portraits.
- 16th Maine Infantry (1861-1865)--Portraits.
- Cartes de visite.
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.