Contributed by Lubec Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This Lubec weir from the late 1930s was designed to catch herring. The fish are funneled by the “leader” through a narrow opening into the the net, or “seine,” and few escape.
About This Item
- Title: Herring weir, Lubec, ca. 1935
- Creation Date: circa 1935
- Subject Date: circa 1935
- Location: Lubec, Washington County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20.4 cm x 26.6 cm
- Local Code: 290 jpg
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Fish canneries--Maine--Lubec
- Canned fish industry--Maine--Lubec
- Fishing boats--Maine
- Fishing industry--Equipment and supplies--Maine
- Fishing nets--Maine--Lubec
- Fishing weirs--Maine--Lubec
- Herring industry--Maine--Lubec
- Atlantic herring fishing--Maine
For more information about this item, contact:Lubec Historical Society
135 Main Street, Lubec, ME 04652
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.