Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Elizabeth Aageson of Portland received this letter in January of 1918 from Assistant Secretary of the Navy Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Aageson loaned a telescope to be used by the Navy in response to their "Eyes for the Navy" campaign. Any donors received a check in the amount of $1.00, which was considered payment for the item if it was not returned, or rental for the item if it was.
Aagerson received her telescope back after the war.
About This Item
- Title: Letter of appreciation to Elizabeth Aageson, 1918
- Creator: Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Creation Date: 1918-01-03
- Subject Date: 1918
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: 2003.261.008
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States. Navy--Equipment & supplies
- United States. Navy--Records and correspondence
- Eyes for the Navy (Program)
- Aageson, Elizabeth--Correspondence
- World War, 1914-1918--Social aspects--United States
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.