Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Manuscript map #80 entitled, "This is a plan of...about 10 acres for the house of publick worship...Lot 69 and also the...house to hold the county courts...Pownalborough, December 12, 1763."
Both Samuel Goodwin and Jonas Jones' names appear as contributors to the creation of this map.
Pownalborough is now known as Dresden.
The map shows a drawing of the Pownalborough Courthouse, built in 1761, although it misrepresents the placement of the chimneys relative to the hip roof and incorrectly depicts the window over the entry door.
The map also shows the Kennebec River and landowners' numbered lots commissioned by the Plymouth Company.
About This Item
- Title: Plan for the house of worship, Pownalborough, 1760
- Creator: Samuel Goodwin
- Creation Date: 1760-12-12
- Subject Date: 1760-12-12
- Location: Dresden, Kennebec County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 38 cm x 54 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 60, Map 80
- Collection: Plymouth Company (1749-1816) records
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Dresden (Me.)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Goodwin, Samuel, 1716-1802
- Jones, Jonas
- Kennebec River (Me.) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800
- Land grants -- Maine.
- Maine -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775 -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Plymouth Company (1749-1814)--Records and correspondence--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Pownalborough Courthouse (Dresden, Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.