Contributed by Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
Sumner Cummings Libby, on left, was born on November 18, 1844. Conflicting records show he was born in either Scarborough or Cape Elizabeth. His parents were Levi and Sarah Ann Libby. The 1860 US Census shows his family was living in Cape Elizabeth.
Sumner Libby enlisted in the 12th Maine Infantry, Company C, on November 15, 1861, three days shy of his 17th birthday. He served with his regiment during the Civil War in Louisiana and Virginia.
Libby was captured during one of the battles in Virginia and sent to Salisbury Prison in Rowan, North Carolina. Sumner died there on December 30, 1864. His body was shipped home to his parents and he was buried at Browns Hill Cemetery in South Portland.
About This Item
- Title: Sumner Cummings Libby, Scarborough, 1863
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Scarborough, Cumberland County, ME
- Cape Elizabeth, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Tintype
- Dimensions: 6.99 cm x 6.35 cm
- Local Code: 69.19.1
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Military service--1860-1870
- Prisoners of war
- Scarborough (Me.)--History
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military service, Voluntary Recruiting & enlistment--Maine--Scarborough
- 12th Maine Infantry Company C
- Browns Hill Cemetery
- Civil War
- Rowan, North Carolina
- Salisbury Prison
- South Portland
For more information about this item, contact:Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
PO Box 156, Scarborough, ME 04070-0156
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.