Contributed by Leeds Historical Society
This letter was written by Thomas Lindsey to his uncle Abial Bishop on June 19, 1863 from encampment at Great Falls on the Potomac River near Washington. He describes the people and the farming, comparing them to his home in Leeds.
He describes also the hardships and deaths of homefolk who are soldiers in the 23d Maine, a nine-month regiment.
He survived the war, attaining rank of corporal, and married Grace Adelia Ladd of Lawrence, Mass. He moved there after the war and had one daughter.
About This Item
- Title: Letter from Thomas Lindsey to Abial Bishop, 1863
- Creator: Lindsey, Thomas Jennings
- Creation Date: 1863-06-19
- Subject Date: 1863-06-19
- Local Name: Bishop Hill
- Town: Great Falls, Leeds
- County: Androscoggin
- State: MD, ME
- Media: Ink on paper, letter
- Dimensions: 21 cm x 24 cm
- Collection: The Brewster Collection
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Leeds Historical Society
553 North Road, Leeds, ME 04263
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Bishop, Abial--Correspondence
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Military life
- Lindsey, Thomas Jennings--Correspondence
- 23rd Maine Infantry Regiment
- Bishop, Abial
- Lindsey, Thomas J
- Bishop, George
- Kimball, Henry
- Ramsdell, Elishar
- Barker, Albert
- Lindsey, Frank J
- Bishop, Alura
- Bishop, Charles
- Civil War
- Civil War letterFrank J Lindsey
- Great Falls
- Leeds, Maine
- Twenty Third Maine
- Washington, D.C.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.