Contributed by North Yarmouth Historical Society
Letter from Luther Lawrence, a Civil War soldier from Pownal, Maine to Frank, dated August 9, 1864, written from Deep Bottom, Virginia and describing military life, deserters from both sides and requesting items to be sent on to him.
Perhaps this was one of the last letters written by Luther, since on August 16, 1864, a battle was fought at Deep Bottom (specifically at Fussell's Mill, VA). The battle was part of the attack on Richmond, VA. Luther, as part of the 11th Maine Volunteer Infantry, Company H, was killed, and his brother James was wounded.
Luther was writing to his younger brother Frank back home in Pownal, on the family farm on Lawrence Road.
About This Item
- Title: Letter from Luther Lawrence to Frank, August 9, 1864
- Creator: Lawrence, Luther
- Creation Date: 1864-08-09
- Subject Date: 1864-08-09
- Town: Deep Bottom
- State: ME, VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 21 cm x 13 cm
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:North Yarmouth Historical Society
10 Village Square Road , North Yarmouth, ME 04097
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Lawrence, Luther, d. 1864--Correspondence
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- Military deserters
- Desertion, military
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.