Contributed by Skowhegan History House
"Gentleman in center (shirt sleeves) is Deacon Priest. He and his son Orrin did business here at the time of the photograph. Man in tall hat is unidentified. Note lamps in window. They were evidently in great demand in those days. Also observe rough granite hitching post and plank sidewalk. The box in front of Deacon Priest covered a hydrant. An iron cover has replaced the one which here shows.
~ Roland T. Patten, Custodian of Historical Views, 1929"
About This Item
- Title: Sampson's corner of long ago, Skowhegan, ca. 1890
- Creation Date: circa 1890
- Subject Date: circa 1890
- Local Name: Sampson's Corner
- Town: Skowhegan
- County: Somerset
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 8 cm x 11 cm
- Local Code: 15.003.2
- Collection: Henry A. Wyman Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Skowhegan (Me.)--Description and views
- Fire hydrants--Maine--Skowhegan
- Stores, Retail--Maine--Skowhegan
- J. Priest & Son (Skowhegan, Me.)--Photographs
- Stores & shop--Maine--Skowhegan
For more information about this item, contact:Skowhegan History House
66 Elm Street, PO Box 832, Skowhegan, ME 04976
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.