Contributed by St. Albans Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Strawberry Art Club float at the St. Albans Centennial on June 13, 1913. The club members, in white dresses, rode in this decorated hay rack drawn by four horses as their float. They were awarded first prize in the parade.
The Strawberry Art Club was started by Mrs. Mary Snell probably ca. 1890's. Her daughter Susie Cooper Lucas was the first member. This group was comprised of about twenty young married women who held meetings every two weeks, which were purely social. They were devoted to working on embroidery or delicate sewing, conversation, and partaking in elaborate refreshments.
The last member of this group, Mrs. William Bigelow of Pittsfield, died in 1971 at the age of 95.
About This Item
- Title: Strawberry Art Club Float, St. Albans, 1913
- Creation Date: 1913-06-13
- Subject Date: 1913-06-13
- Town: St. Albans
- County: Somerset
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 16.8 cm x 20.84 cm
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:St. Albans Historical Society
7 Water St, St. Albans, ME 04971
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Organizations--Maine--St. Albans
- Parades & processions--Maine--St. Albans
- Floats (parades)--Maine--St. Albans
- Carts & wagons--Maine--St. Albans
- Animal teams--Maine--St. Albans
- Clubwomen--Maine--St. Albans
- Clubs--Maine--St. Albans
- Centennial celebrations--Maine--St. Albans
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.