Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Portland businessman Horatio N. Jose, former quartermaster of the 12th Maine Regiment, wrote a statement to his former commander and friend, Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, about paperwork concerning ordnance issued to the 12th Maine.
Shepley had been informed that the ordnance had not been accounted for in the fourth quarter of 1861. Jose replied that "invoices and vouchers of ordnance stores were all lost or destroyed by the enemy with all the regimental books & papers at 'Bayou Boeuf.'"
He had written informally in another letter to relay the same information.
About This Item
- Title: Horatio Jose on ordnance paperwork, Portland, 1865
- Creator: Jose, Horatio N.
- Creation Date: 1865-01-20
- Subject Date: 1865
- Town: Bayou Boeuf, Norfolk, Portland, Ship Island
- County: Cumberland
- State: LA, ME, MS, VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 26.7 cm x 21 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/4
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Military service--1860-1870
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
- War destruction & pillage--Louisiana--Bayou Boeuf
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.