Contributed by Town of Topsham
The town of Topsham's first fire company stands in front of the first engine house--on Winter Street at Quint's Stables--with the Androscoggin No. 2 hand engine. The engine was moved in about 1897 to a new building constructed for it on Main Street.
The Androscoggin No. 2 was an 1850 Hunneman engine with a 6" piston cylinder. It won competitions for hand pumpers throughout Maine and New England.
About This Item
- Title: Androscoggin No. 2 company, Topsham, ca. 1890
- Creation Date: circa 1890
- Subject Date: circa 1890
- Local Name: Barron's Hill, Quint's Hill
- Town: Topsham, Topsham
- County: Sagadahoc
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 30 cm
- Local Code: 2000-07-13cb
- Collection: Androscoggin Veterans Fire Association Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Group portraits
- Fire engines--Maine--Topsham
- Firefighting equipment--Maine--Topsham
- Fire fighters--Maine--Topsham
For more information about this item, contact:Town of Topsham
Topsham Historical Comm., Town Hall, 100 Main Street, Topsham, ME 04086
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.