Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley of Portland wrote to Major Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, commander of the Department of the Gulf for the Union army, to resign his appointment as military commandant of New Orleans.
Shepley, who joined the 12th Maine Regiment as colonel in November 1861, was named commander of the 3rd Brigade early in 1862 and appointed military commandant of New Orleans when Union forces captured New Orleans in May 1862.
He resigned because he had been named military governor of Louisiana, a post he held until residents there could elect a civilian governor who was loyal to the Union.
Shepley described his duties in New Orleans as "arduous and frequently difficult and intricate."
The document is a copy in his own hand of the one Shepley sent Butler.
About This Item
- Title: Gen. G.F. Shepley resignation as commandant of New Orleans, 1862
- Creator: Shepley, George F.
- Creation Date: 1862-07-10
- Subject Date: 1862-07-10
- Town: New Orleans
- State: LA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 31.8 cm x 20 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 1/8
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Career plateaus
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military service, Voluntary
- Military service--1860-1870
- Military discharges--Louisiana--New Orleans
- Military promotions
- Recruiting and enlistment
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.