Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Melvin L. Jellison of Co. B of the 6th Maine Regiment signed a receipt for one peck of dried apples for himself and three other men at Emory Hospital.
Jellison, of Clinton, enlisted in Co. B of the 6th Maine Infantry on Aug. 27, 1862 when he was 18.
The Maine Agency of the U.S. Sanitary Commission provided the apples. The state branch, with an office in Washington, helped care for injured or sick soldiers as well as providing other needs for soldiers and their families.
About This Item
- Title: Receipt for apples for wounded soldiers, 1863
- Creator: Jellison, Melvin L.
- Creation Date: 1863-04-21
- Subject Date: 1863-04-21
- Town: Emory
- County: Washington
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.2 cm x 12.6 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1533, Box 1/1
- Collection: Maine Agency Sanitary Commission records
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 6th (1861-1864)
- Food relief
- Emory and Henry College
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Hospitals
- United States Sanitary Commission
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Civilian relief
- Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Medical care
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.