Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Jonathan K. Brooks (1837-1909) of Bowdoinham was 24 when he mustered into Co. C of the 1st Maine Cavalry as a corporal on October 20, 1861. He was promoted to commissary sergeant in 1863 and commissioned as 2nd lieutenant in June 1863.
Brooks was wounded at Middleburg on June 19, 1863. he was commissioned a 1st lieutenant in November 1864 and was in command of the company starting in September 1864 until the company was mustered out on August 1, 1865.
About This Item
- Title: Jonathan K. Brooks, Bowdoinham, ca. 1863
- Creator: J. S. Hendee, Augusta
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Location: Bowdoinham, Sagadahoc County, ME
- Media: Carte de visite
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 6 cm
- Local Code: Photographs--Military--Civil War
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Regimental histories--Cartes de visite.
- United States. Army. Maine Cavalry Regiment, 1st (1861-1865)--Cartes de visite.
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.