Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
A cadre of Passamaquoddy men served during World War I with Gen. Clarence Edwards as commander of the Yankee Division (the 26th) that included Sam Dana, David Sopiel, Peter Lewey, George Stevens Sr., Charles Lola. Peter Stanley, John Newell, Henry Sockbeson and Moses Neptune.
Maine's Centennial offered an opportunity for reunion. Second to right stood Gov. William Neptune of the Passamaquoddy Tribe, next to him General Edwards and his wife Bessie Porter Edwards, with Noel Francis to the right.
This image was part of a series of photos taken for the July 2, 1920 edition of the Portland Evening Express newspaper.
About This Item
- Title: William Neptune, General Edwards, and Noel Francis at the Maine Centennial, Portland, 1920
- Creator: Portland Evening Express
- Creation Date: 1920
- Subject Date: 1920
- Local Name: Deering Oaks
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 17.8 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.2939
- Collection: Portland Press Herald glass negative collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Indian encampments--Maine--Portland
- Indian village (Portland, Me.)
- Indians of North America--Maine--Passamaquoddy Indians
- Indians of North America--Maine--Penobscot Indians
- Maine--Centennial celebrations, etc.
- Penobscot Indians
- Centennial celebrations
- Clothing & dress
- Indians of North America
- Military personnel
- Military veterans
- Native Americans
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.