Contributed by McArthur Public Library
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
A feature of the Biddeford Merchants' Carnival of October, 1909, was the thrill of a balloon ascension, and the balloonist drop to earth in a parachute, doing tricks on the way down. These balloons were expanded by hot air, could carry a man and his parachute a thousand feet or so in the air, and the whole ascension and drop was over in a few minutes. In this picture the balloonist is ready to cut his parachute loose.
About This Item
- Title: Balloonist at Merchant Carnival, Biddeford, 1909
- Creator: Gay, Robert H.
- Creation Date: 1909
- Subject Date: 1909
- Location: Biddeford, York County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 17.7 cm x 12.9 cm
- Local Code: 0228
- Collection: Robert H. Gay Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Balloons (Aircraft)
- Balloon ascensions--Maine--Biddeford
- Stunt performers--Maine--Biddeford
- Stunt flying--Maine--Biddeford
For more information about this item, contact:McArthur Public Library
PO Box 346, Biddeford, ME 04005
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.