Contributed by McArthur Public Library
Lieutenant John R. Andrews of Biddeford is shown in his military uniform in about 1861. This is from an autograph book owned by Miss Ellen Junkins, who was a school teacher in Biddeford.
The writing, which is in two different hands, reads: "Army-1861, Lieut. J. R. Andrews, Married John R. Andrews, Scarboro, Maine". A past library employee made the pencil note which reads "Granite Andrews."
Lt. Andrews was a member of the Andrews family which dominated Biddeford's granite industry.
Andrews enlisted in Co. I of the Maine 1st Cavalry on Oct. 31, 1861 as a sergeant. He was promoted to full second lieutenant. He was mustered out on November 25, 1864.
He served under Colonel John Goddard.
About This Item
- Title: Lt. John R. Andrews, Biddeford, ca. 1861
- Creator: Ellen Junkins
- Creation Date: circa 1861
- Subject Date: circa 1861
- Location: Biddeford, York County, ME
- Media: Pencil on paper, photograph
- Dimensions: 11 cm x 18 cm
- Local Code: MS999 Junkins, Nellie P.
- Collection: Archival Collections
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Autograph albums
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Cavalry Regiment, 1st (1861-1865). Company I
- Andrews, John R.--Portrait photographs
- Junkins, Ellen--Associated objects
For more information about this item, contact:McArthur Public Library
PO Box 346, Biddeford, ME 04005
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.