Contributed by Prince Memorial Library
This is the handwritten first seven pages of the Preamble and Laws of the Second social Library In North Yarmouth. This book has a cover made from one piece of 1/16 inch thick leather which is simply folded around the pages and hand-stitched on with the page binding stitches. It shows the date for the founding of the library, Dec. 1793.
At that time North Yarmouth included what is the present day town of Cumberland, which seceded from the town of North Yarmouth in 1821. The book contains a total of 74 pages, which include the Preamble and Laws, plus meeting notes through Nov. 1, 1819. The last few pages include an index of the library's books and a register of the names of the library's propietors.
About This Item
- Title: Records of The Second social Library In North Yarmouth, 1793
- Creator: Propietors of the Second social Library in North Yarmouth
- Creation Date: 1793-12-25
- Subject Date: 1793-12-25
- Location: Cumberland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Handwitten in ink on rag paper.
- Dimensions: 20.1 cm x 17.6 cm
- Local Code: 2010.0035
- Collection: Prince Memorial Library Archives
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Libraries--By-laws--Maine--North Yarmouth
- Libraries--Records and correspondence--Maine--Cumberland
- Libraries--Records and correspondence--Maine--North Yarmouth
- Prince Memorial Library (Cumberland, Me.)--History
For more information about this item, contact:Prince Memorial Library
266 Main Street, Cumberland, ME 04021
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.