Contributed by McArthur Public Library
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Robert McArthur, future agent of the Pepperell Mills in Biddeford, at age 21 in Springfield, Massachusetts. He was born in Ashton, Cheshire, England in 1838 and came to the U.S. in 1842. He entered the mills at age 15, and worked his way to the top position of agent. He worked in Rhode Island, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Massachusetts prior to coming to Maine as the agent for the Laconia and Pepperell Mills in 1887--a position he held until his retirement in 1910. This could have been taken on or before his wedding; he married Lydia Swan in 1861.
About This Item
- Title: Robert McArthur, Biddeford, 1861
- Creator: D. B. Spooner & Co., Pynchon Bank Block, Springfield, Mass.
- Creation Date: 1861
- Subject Date: 1861
- Town: Biddeford, Springfield
- County: Hampden, York
- State: MA, ME
- Media: Carte de visite
- Dimensions: 9.5 cm x 6 cm
- Local Code: DC XXXIV Lena McArthur Papers
- Collection: Archival Collections
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Textile industry--Maine--Biddeford
- Pepperell Manufacturing Company--Employees
- Laconia Company--Employees
For more information about this item, contact:McArthur Public Library
PO Box 346, Biddeford, ME 04005
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.