Contributed by Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum and Arctic Studies Center
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at Bowdoin College. Learn more.
In this photograph Charles Rich, Bowdoin class of 1892, and Charles Lincoln, Bowdoin class of 1891, assist Professor Leslie Lee in exploring an Inuit burial site.
Eskimo Island was one of several stops made by the Bowdoin College Scientific Expedition to Labrador along the North Atlantic Coast.
About This Item
- Title: Exploring an Inuit grave on Eskimo Island, Labrador, 1891
- Creator: Bowdoin College Scientific Expedition to Labrador
- Creation Date: 1891
- Subject Date: 1891
- Town: Eskimo Island
- State: NL
- Media: paper; photograph
- Dimensions: 10.5 cm x 13.5 cm
- Local Code: 1988.17.7
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum and Arctic Studies Center
Bowdoin College, 9500 College Station, Brunswick, ME 04011-8495
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Arctic regions--Discovery and exploration
- Bowdoin College Scientific Expedition to Labrador
- Bowdoin College--People
- Cemeteries--Canada--Labrador--Eskimo Island
- Inuit--Canada--Social life and customs
- Julia A. Decker (Ship)
- Scientific expeditions--Arctic regions
- Sepulchral monuments--Canada--Labrador--Eskimo Island
- Tombs--Canada--Labrador--Eskimo Island
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.