In 2002, the Maine State Prison was closed and the site was razed.
Prior to the relocation of the State Prison from Thomaston to the neighboring town of Warren, there had been a a small museum housed within the prison walls. When the move was made to the new facility, provisions were not included for display of these museum items.
In 2006, Warden Merrill and his staff worked with Historical Society volunteers to prepare a prison exhibition in an upstairs area of the Knox Farmhouse, which was set aside for this purpose. Several items are currently on display, including this early model of the original prison, completed in 1824.