Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
View of a lime quarry in Thomaston.
Written along the bottom is the sentence: "In distance is shown smoke from engines at Williams and Doherty Quarries."
Great cranes were used to lift both men and rock from the quarry. Most of the quarries were along Old County Road.
About This Item
- Title: Lime Quarry, Thomaston, ca. 1870
- Creator: Morse, Levi
- Creation Date: circa 1870
- Subject Date: circa 1870
- Town: Thomaston
- County: Knox
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 19 cm x 25 cm
- Local Code: PhotographBox97.16
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Quarries and quarrying--Maine--Thomaston
- Limestone quarrying--Maine--Thomaston
- Lime industry--Maine--Thomaston
- Cranes, derricks, etc.--Maine--Thomaston
For more information about this item, contact:Thomaston Historical Society
PO Box 384, Thomaston, ME 04861
(207) 354 2295
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.