Contributed by Edward L. Hawes through Lubec Landmarks
Not available for reproduction or licensing. More info.
Exhibit in Skinning Shed at McCurdy's Smokehouse in Lubec of materials and tools for fabricating the boxes that herring were shipped in.
Included are “shooks,” the tops, bottoms, ends and sides that came precut for assembly. The jig with a box in assembly, hammer, nails, and in back completed boxes. Shooks were purchased from area mills.
About This Item
- Title: Herring boxes and shooks at McCurdy's, Lubec, 1998
- Creation Date: 1998
- Subject Date: 1998
- Town: Lubec
- County: Washington
- State: ME
- Media: Wood
- Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 20.32 cm x 29.21 cm
- Local Code: LL 008.A6
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Herring industry--Maine--Lubec
- Fish canneries--Maine--Lubec
- Canned fish industry--Maine--Lubec
- Herring industry--Equipment and supplies
- Smoked meat--Maine--Lubec
- Food industry--Maine--Lubec
For more information about this item, contact:Lubec Landmarks
, Lubec, ME
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.