Contributed by Islesboro Historical Society
This postcard shows Al Gilkey and his workers cutting ice on Gilkey's Pond in Dark Harbor. Al Gilkey is standing fourth from the left.
Ice cutting was a cottage industry on Islesboro. Ice was used locally and also shipped south to warmer climates.
About This Item
- Title: Ice Cutting, Islesboro, ca. 1920
- Creation Date: circa 1920
- Subject Date: circa 1920
- Local Name: Gilkey's Pond
- Town: Islesboro
- County: Waldo
- State: ME
- Media: Postcard
- Local Code: Open Photo Collection, Businesses
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Cottage industries--Maine--Islesboro
- Ice industry--Maine--Islesboro
- Ice industry--Equipment and supplies
For more information about this item, contact:Islesboro Historical Society
PO Box 301, 388 Main Road, Islesboro, ME 04848
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.