Contributed by Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This three-chambered box of matches was wrapped in canvas and then painted to keep it waterproof during Admiral Robert E. Peary's expedition to the North Pole in 1906. It was subjected to a CAT scan to determine its contents.
About This Item
- Title: Box of Matches Wrapped for Polar Climate, 1906
- Creator: Robert Edwin Peary
- Creation Date: 1906
- Subject Date: 1906
- Location: USA
- Media: Wood, canvas
- Local Code: Peary Box
- Collection: Bureau of Parks and Lands
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Explorers and exploration
- Arctic regions--Discovery and exploration
- Peary, Robert E. (Robert Edwin), 1856-1920--Associated objects
- Peary Arctic Expedition, 1896
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands
22 State House Station, 18 Elkins Lane, Augusta, ME 04333-0022
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.