Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Chamber of Commerce building at 142 Free Street in Portland about 1926.
The Chamber purchased the 85-year-old Free Street Baptist Church building in 1926 and hired John Calvin Stevens and his son, John Howard Stevens, to restore the building to its original appearance. It was originally built in 1830 as a theater.
The building later became home to the Children's Museum of Maine.
About This Item
- Title: Chamber of Commerce, Portland. ca. 1926
- Creation Date: circa 1926
- Subject Date: circa 1926
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Postcard
- Local Code: Coll. 4014, Portland--Buildings
- Collection: Postcard collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Chambers of Commerce--Maine--Portland
- Free Street (Portland, Me.)
- Historic buildings--Maine--Portland
- Portland Regional Chamber of Commerce (Me.)--History
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.