Contributed by New Gloucester Historical Society
Three nurses in front of Hedin Hospital at Pownal State School in about 1937.
In the middle is Myrtle Daly (later Myrtle Strout).
By the late 1930s, the school for the developmentally disabled had more than 1,000 residents and 200 staff members.
The hospital on the New Gloucester campus opened in 1931.
About This Item
- Title: Nurses, Pownal State School, ca. 1937
- Creation Date: circa 1937
- Subject Date: circa 1937
- Town: New Gloucester
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:New Gloucester Historical Society
PO Box 531, New Gloucester, ME 04260
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Hospitals--Maine--New Gloucester
- Pineland Farms, Inc. (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Pineland Hospital and Training Center (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Pineland Center (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Mental institutions--Maine--New Gloucester
- Maine School for the Feeble-Minded (1908-1925)
- Pineland Center (1973-1996)
- Pineland Hospital and Training Center (1957-1973)
- Pownal State School (1925-1957)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.