Contributed by Jesup Memorial Library
Dr. Robert Abbe was a distinguished surgeon from New York who summered in Bar Harbor. Dr. Abbe lived in an estate called "Brook End" located on Eden Street. The house was built in 1881 in the 'shingle style' designed by William Ralph Emerson. Abbe purchased the estate in 1889 from Civil War General W.F. Smith and owned it until 1928. The house was torn down in the early 1960s.
About This Item
- Title: Dr. Abbe's Sun-dial Garden, Bar Harbor, ca. 1900
- Creator: The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N. Y.
- Creation Date: circa 1900
- Subject Date: circa 1900
- Location: Bar Harbor, Hancock County, ME
- Media: Postcard
- Dimensions: 14 cm x 9 cm
- Local Code: JML PC 23990
- Collection: Jesup Memorial Library Postcard Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Smith, W.F.--Homes and haunts--Maine--Bar Harbor
- Vacation homes--Maine--Bar Harbor
- Dwellings--Maine--Bar Harbor
- Abbe, Robert, 1851-1928--Homes and haunts--Maine--Bar Harbor
- Brook End Cottage (Bar Harbor, Me.)
- Gardens--Maine--Bar Harbor
For more information about this item, contact:Jesup Memorial Library
34 Mount Desert Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.