Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Frank H. Dexter (b. 1856), a native of Malden Mass., came to Maine at age four in the care of a family here.
He left that home and began farming at age seventeen while also studying to become a school teacher. He worked at the Portland Globe for three years, rising to the position of associate editor.
He later became editor of and purchased the Springvale Advocate, which he ran for more than 20 years.
At one time he was also editor and publisher of the Maine Good Templar. He was an active temperance worker and held many leadership positions within the Maine Good Templars.
He was superintendent of schools of Sanford for two years and served on the school board for several more.
About This Item
- Title: Frank Dexter, Springvale, ca. 1900
- Creation Date: circa 1900
- Subject Date: circa 1900
- Location: Sanford, York County, ME
- Media: Print from Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 24.19 cm x 19.21 cm
- Local Code: B232
- Collection: Index to the Glass Negatives
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Maine Good Templar (Newspaper)
- Independent Order of Good Templars. Maine
- Maine Good Templars--People
- Springvale Advocate (Newspaper)
- Dexter, Frank H.--Portrait photographs
For more information about this item, contact:Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
P. O. Box 276 505 Main Street, Springvale, ME 04083
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.