Contributed by South Portland Historical Society
John W. Cameron was Portland Head Light Assistant Keeper from 1904 to 1928 and Keeper from 1928 to 1929. He was married to Harriet (Hattie) E. Bonney. The insignia on his lapel- a 2 1/2 inch long by 3/4 inch wide loop with the letter "K" in the middle - indicates the photo was taken at the time he was the Keeper. An Assistant Keeper would have either a "1" "2" or "3" rather than a "K" in the middle of the loop.
About This Item
- Title: John W. Cameron, Portland Head Light Keeper
- Creator: Kennedy-Portland, ME
- Creation Date: circa 1928
- Subject Date: circa 1928
- Local Name: Fort Williams
- Town: Cape Elizabeth
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 14 cm x 9 cm
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Cameron, John W.--Portrait photographs
- Lighthouse keepers--Maine--Cape Elizabeth
- Portland Head Light (Cape Elizabeth, Me.)--People
- Lighthouses--Maine--Cape Elizabeth
For more information about this item, contact:South Portland Historical Society
55 Bug Light Park, South Portland, ME 04106
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.