Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Gen. Warren was the last ship launched at the Dyer Yards on Fore Street, Portland. Shipyards were soon replaced by rail yards.
The sketch is by amateur Portland artist Charles Quincy Goodhue, who sought to capture the look of Portland before the fire of 1866.
About This Item
- Title: Launching of the Gen. Warren, Sept. 28, 1844
- Creator: Goodhue, Charles Quincy
- Creation Date: 1894
- Subject Date: 1844-09-28
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: GA52
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Piers & wharves--Maine--Portland
- Dyer Yards (Portland, Me.)
- Industrial facilities--Maine--Portland
- Fore Street (Portland, Me.)
- Portland (Me.)--Views
- General Warren (Ship)
- Boat & ship industry--Maine--Portland
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.