Contributed by Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
Black Hawk Putnam of Houlton was 23 when he enlisted as a captain in Co. E of the 1st Maine Cavalry Regiment. The regiment was mustered into service on October 31, 1861.
He was wounded at the Battle of Middletown, Virginia, in May 1862 and mustered out of the unit on February 19, 1863.
Black Hawk Putnam was a member of the Northern Maine Regiment of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) and of the 1st Maine Cavalry Association.
About This Item
- Title: Captain Black Hawk Putnam, Houlton, ca. 1890
- Creation Date: circa 1890
- Subject Date: circa 1890
- Location: Houlton, Aroostook County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 15 cm
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--People
- Putnam, Black Hawk--Portrait photographs
- Grand Army of the Republic. Northern Maine Regiment--People
- First Maine Cavalry Regiment--People
- Black Hawk Putnam
- Captain Black Hawk Putnam
- company E
- First Maine Cavalry.
- Grand Army of the Republic
- Northern Maine Regiment
For more information about this item, contact:Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
109 Main Street, Houlton, ME 04730
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.