Contributed by Maine Historical Society
In this letter to General Joshua Chamberlain dated March 23, 1895, Sgt. Reuel Thomas shares memories of their Civil War battles, including Little Round Top. Joshua Chamberlain was the commanding officer of the 20th Maine Regiment and Thomas served as his orderly.
The 20th Maine played an important part in the Union's ability to hold their position at the battle of Little Round Top. The engagement was part of the Battle of Gettysburg in Pennsylvania, July 1-3, 1863.
About This Item
- Title: Letter from Sgt. Reuel Thomas to Gen. Joshua Chamberlain, 1895
- Creator: Thomas, Reuel
- Creation Date: 1895-03-23
- Subject Date: 1895-03-23
- Local Name: Little Round Top
- Town: Gettysburg
- State: PA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 10, Box 1/3
- Collection: Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain correspondence
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- 20th Maine volunteers
- Chamberlain, Joshua Lawrence, 1828-1914--Correspondence
- Thomas, Reuel--Correspondence
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1864--Personal narratives
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.