Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Looking east from Congress Street in Portland shows the damage of the Great Fire of 1866 on India Street. Much of the city was burned in the blaze that was started by a firecracker during July 4 festivities.
About This Item
- Title: India Street fire damage, Portland, 1866
- Creator: John P. Soule
- Creation Date: 1866-07-12
- Subject Date: 1866-07-04
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Stereograph
- Dimensions: 9 cm x 17 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2033, no. 495
- Collection: Great Portland Fire of 1866 stereoscopic photographs
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Fireworks--Accidents and injuries
- Great Fire of Portland, 1866 (Me.)--Disasters
- India St. (Portland, Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.