Contributed by The General Henry Knox Museum
A travel kit purportedly given to Henry Knox by his friend the Marquis de Lafayette, with whom he served in the American Revolution. It is called "le necessaire" because it contained everything needed for travel.
Items in the kit include a china tea service for two, perfume bottles, scissors, a mirror, a comb, a wash basin, a sewing kit and a funnel.
Each item has its own compartment in the green leather-lined interior, and many of the compartments have false bottoms with a small secret compartment underneath.
About This Item
- Title: Henry Knox travel kit, ca. 1790
- Creation Date: circa 1790
- Subject Date: circa 1790
- Media: Wood, china, metal, glass
- Local Code: P-082
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Knox, Henry, 1750-1806
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, marquis de, 1757-1834
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert De Motier, Marquis de, 1757-1834
- Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert De Motier La Fayette
- Marie Lafayette
- Marquis LaFayette
- personal accessories
- travel accessories
- travel kit
For more information about this item, contact:The General Henry Knox Museum
P.O. Box 326, Thomaston, ME 04861
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.